International Students Application Process
Welcome to our international applicants and their families!
The University of Oklahoma, as a whole, currently hosts over 1,800 international students from over 100 different countries! The College of Nursing looks forward to welcoming you to the University of Oklahoma and sharing in your educational endeavors.
The College of Nursing has put together a few guidelines and pointers to help you with your application:
In addition, the following should be noted:
- TOEFL: If the applicant was born outside the United States of America a TOEFL examination will be required. The minimum score required is 600 (paper based), 250 (computer based) and 100 (internet based). The TOEFL examination can be no more than 2 years old and must be completed and filed at time of application with the Office of Admissions & Records. Waivers are not generally permitted through the College of Nursing. Waivers are, in general, only considered for applicants that meet one of the following criteria:
- US Citizens born abroad (such as military dependents), or
- International Students or Permanent Residents who completed grades 6-12 of their secondary education in the US and completed higher education (college coursework) in the United States, or
- Are from countries where English is the first or official language, or
- Have completed a bachelor’s or master’s degree at a regionally accredited institution in the United States.
The TOEFL waiver may be downloaded at: http://www.ouhsc.edu/admissions/Forms/toeflwav.pdf
Applicants must first apply online (AY) before submitting a TOEFL waiver form. Admission may be denied if TOEFL scores are not reported or are below the minimum required at time of application. For additional information on the examination or to register for the test, please visit: www.ets.org.
|Internet Based Score
||Computer Based Score
||Paper Based Score
- WES: If the student has completed coursework outside of the United States, the student must obtain an evaluation of the international coursework through World Education Services (WES). The WES evaluation will not determine the applicant's eligibility for or admission to the nursing program. The WES evaluation will only determine the U.S. equivalency of the international coursework. The official WES report must be submitted with all other application materials and transcripts to the Office of Admissions & Records. No other evaluation of international coursework will be accepted to meet this requirement. For additional information regarding WES evaluations or to begin your evaluation, please visit: www.wes.org.
- Employment: Students seeking licensure in the state of Oklahoma as a Registered Nurse or Advanced Practice Nurse must meet the regulatory requirements of the Oklahoma Board of Nursing. In November 2007, the State of Oklahoma passed legislation which potentially limits employment opportunities to international students. Applicants are encouraged to review these guidelines prior to admission to the nursing program. Please visit the Oklahoma Board of Nursing website at: http://www.ok.gov/nursing/evidstatus.pdf.
- Online Curriculum: Current Oklahoma regulations preclude international students from participating in academic programs that are conducted entirely via the Internet. Applicants are advised to review the curriculum for their anticipated program.
- An application to the College of Nursing must also be submitted. Please visit our application webpage for further information on the application process.
If you have questions regarding your application as an international student you may contact OUHSC’s international advisors: Patricia Ingram at 405-271-2347, ext. 48918, or Elsa Higuchi in the Office of Admissions & Records at at 405-271-2347, ext. 48906. You may also contact the College of Nursing at email@example.com.
Updated: MR 03/27/13